Sunday 6 November 2011

Diabetes Awareness Month 2011...

The 1st of November marks the beginning of diabetes awareness month with the 14th being World Diabetes Day. Apart from the families that contend with this condition every day how many people actually know. If the truth be told we didn't know until our son was diagnosed and my husband has had type 1 for 15 years!

In order to do my bit for raising awareness I am now going to dazzle you with numbers.....

In one year alone Samuel will have had at least 1,460 injections of insulin. This figure does not take into account and correction dose or any split doses.
With only the minimum of testing, and by this I mean before breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime, he will have 1,460 finger prick tests. Add onto that tests when he doesn't feel well, or before exercise and the number is much higher.
If Samuel lives to 70 years old he will have had in his lifetime in excess of 96,360 injections!!

Samuel hardly ever complains about having his injections, and insulin is not a cure, it is life support, without it he would die. However, with every injection my heart breaks just a little, but I know I have to do it to keep him alive.
Please help to raise awareness of Type 1 diabetes, the numbers are rising......Hope is in a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment