Sunday 14 January 2018

Now I have two!!!!!

I haven't written a post for a while and in all honesty was going to write one about Samuels growth spurt which made all of his levels go up....AGAIN! Puberty.... you have to love it.

However, that's all changed, yesterday Samuels 11 year old sister Victoria was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. In the back of mind I have always wondered if another one out of the four would ever be diagnosed. When the girls did the D-GAP trial it was Olivia that tested positive for the antibodies so I always expected it to be her, so the fact that it was Victoria, who tested negative was a bit of a surprise.
We had been to parkrun, Samuel and Victoria were marshals, we went to get a drink after and she knocked back her whole bottle and declared that she was so thirsty! cue alarm bells. I suggested that once we got home that I would test her sugar level. The meter gave us the HI message! Thinking that it may be an error I got her to wash her hands again and we tested twice more with the same response.. the blood machines are so friendly! Out came the ketone machine and we were met with a 5.5...not great.

So, here we are sitting in the hospital waiting to go home, which we think will be after dinner. I don't need the carb count training, and we already know what we are doing. The big thing for me know is to try and get the pair of them treated at the same hospital, so I will be on the phone to UCLH tomorrow.

Once again I am thankful that we knew the signs and she is not 'ill', and its a relaxed diagnoses. looking back there were a couple of other signs, my mum had noticed a slight weight loss, and the mood swings, but we explained them away.
Anyhow, it is what it is, we couldn't prevent it, we can't change it, so now we will look forward to playing blood sugar bingo at meal times, and getting on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment