Sunday 12 June 2011

Diabetes awareness week: Do you know the signs?

Today, 12th June is the start of Diabetes Awareness Week. So, I thought that I would write a blog each daybthis week to do my bit for raising awareness.
To kick it all off I have decided to start with the obvious..... The signs/symptoms of type 1 diabetes. If we can get the message to enough people, then lives WILL be saved. Children will stop dying due to mis-diagnosis. It really is that important.
So.......here goes:

1) Extreme thirst
2) Tiredness, no energy
3) Weight loss
4) Frequent urination
5) Blurred vision
6) Thrush

If you, your child, or anyone you know has one or more of these symptoms then talk to your doctor.
Type 1 diabetes can affect anyone at any age. My husband was 25 years old at diagnosis, my son was 4. Early diagnosis is very important so please if you have any concerns talk to your doctor as soon as possible. You may well save a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment