Sunday 11 September 2011

D-GAP: The Results!

As I have mentioned in a previous post my girls are part of the D-GAP trial. I have also mentioned that Olivia, my oldest daughter tested positive for two or more of the antibodies, this means that she has a 1 in 5 change of developing type 1 diabetes within the next 5 years. Victoria and Elizabeth were both tested back in July, and I have been waiting for the results ever since. The results came yesterday........ Both girls........negative, this means no antibodies. Clearly this is a good result for them, nothing is ever certain, and we can never say never, but it's unlikely that they will develop type 1. However, the inner geek in me is fascinated by this result, because if the truth be told I was expecting them both to have at least one antibody. They all have the same parents, Olivia tested positive, Samuel has type 1, as does his dad. So the negative result surprised me. Don't get me wrong I am pleased with the result, but once again this has proved how complex the human body is, especially where genetics is concerned. Nothing has changed for me in the way I treat the girls, like I have said before, what will be will be, I will always be on the look out for it negative antibodies or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment