Saturday 25 February 2012

Night testing....what have I learnt?

Before I start this blog I want to make one thing very clear. This is not a blog saying that you must test, nor is it one saying that you shouldn't. Only you can decide what is right for you and your family. It is a very emotive subject and the cause of many a debate on some of the facebook groups that I am part of.

So, Samuel has been diagnosed almost three years, and up until the last month I wasn't night testing. I did it for a couple of nights when he was playing up with his machine at school but it has never been a regular thing. However, over the last few weeks he has been having the most random of levels, so I decided to start testing, before I go to bed, which is generally around 10pm and again at 2am, and it has been a real eye opener!

What have I learnt?........Well, I have learnt that 2am testing does not agree with me, and my ability to function as a normal person, by lunchtime I am now yawning my head off! Not good when I need to concentrate  at work!
Seriously though it has been really interesting. Samuels levels seem to rise between 2am and 7am, my thoughts about this are that this rise is caused by the lantus dipping during this time. We give Samuel his basal dose in the morning when he wakes. Also, when his machine works out any correction dose during these hours I increase it by half a unit.
The result is that Samuel has been waking with much better levels....today was 7.0!!! Woohoo

No comments:

Post a Comment