Monday 3 September 2012

Returning to school.

The new school year starts tomorrow, and usually I am not to phased by this event. School are fantastic when it comes to Samuels care, they have been doing it almost as long as I have. The staff know what to look out for, how to trat him and are aware of the tricks that he has pulled in the past. In fact school is the one place that I don't worry about.
However, it is 6:30 in the morning, (at least it was when I started to write this blog!) and I am sitting with the new care plan layed out in front of me, a list of things that I still need to do and feeling totally unprepared and I don't like it.
Samuel left for the school holidays on injections and is returning on a pump. This makes me nervous!  School, as usual have been amazing with two members of staff attending pump school with us, taking time out of their holiday to travel to London for the day. They are also sending another two members up to the UCLH training session for schools. They have done as much as they could have done and for that I will always be grateful. But, for me, I feel like we are starting again, that we are back to when he was first diagnosed and worried about his first day in reception. Samuel on the other hand couldn't care less!!
Fast forward to now (10:30 pm) and things are so much better!! I e mailed school this morning to tell them my concerns, and I was told that if I wanted to pop into school to go through the care plan then I could. I spent an hour and a half with Lucy going through the care plan, with her making notes of additional things to tell his teachers. We also talked about the concerns that I had, what the plans were for lunchtime and PE, and I came away much happier.
Becky, the nurse from UCLH called and we have programmed the pump with different basel rates for school days, as the children tend to need less insulin when they are at school. I have sorted out the hypo box for the classroom, the box for the medical room and the insulins for the fridge.
So, we are set for the new school year!! I just have the small matter of getting four children up nice and early tomorrow and in their school uniforms! Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment