Thursday 30 August 2012

Changing the rules...

Let me start by saying that three weeks in and we are loving the pump. As we had hoped we have better control, less fluctuating levels and a happier Samuel, which is all great. What's taking me slightly longer is the ability to forget almost everything that we have been doing for the last three years. Obviously the 'diabetes' is the same. It's still unwelcome, annoying and doesn't follow the rules. Any parent of a type 1 child would agree. What has changed is the rules in which we follow when attempting to whip it into shape!!
The main rule change for us is the for the treatment of hypos. When Samuel was on mdi, we would treat a hypo (bg below 4) with fresh orange juice, wait 10 mins, re-test and if above 4 we would give two biscuits. Actually, the three girls would quite like it when he was low as they would also get two biscuits.
However, it is slightly different on the pump. 4 is still the floor and needs to be treated but we now follow the 15 rule: Treat with 15g of fast acting carbs, wait 15mins, re-test and if above 4 that's it, not further treatment is required. This has not gone down too well with the Warrington children!!
I also have to remind myself that if the levels before bed are between 4-5 that actually its ok, whereas on mdi, that would be too low and he would need a snack.
I wouldn't change it for the world now though, it just takes a little bit of time to trust the pump, but I am getting there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi mummy2four! I'm as confused as everyone else when it comes to diabetes. We've just found out that our eldest son has type 1 and he's only 4. That crushed my heart from day 1. As I reached out to other parents, I started to learn more about the illness and I thanked every one of them.

    It has come to my attention that there is a actos lawsuit. Do you have any idea about this?




    ReplyDelete